Winter climbing course will prepare you for alpine climbing which combines and makes use of traditional and multi-pitch climbing skills in winter condition. You will encounter ice, snow, rocks and difficult conditions during ascent and you will need to place special protection, use crampons and ice axes to ascend the route.
Winter climbing course in the Tatra Mountains. Professional instruction for an affordable price in stunning mountains.
Course price: €625*
What’s included?: 6+ hours of mix climbing activities every day, winter mountaineering and climbing instructions and workshops, evening lectures, all climbing equipment like a harness, crampons, ice axes, ice screw and other protection, helmet, ropes, HMS crabs, belay device, slings etc.
Dates in 2020:
22nd March – 25th March or drop me an email with your dates 🙂
Winter climbing course program:
Meeting in Zakopane, 2 hours hike to the hut, general safety and avalanche awareness in winter, how to use avalanche detectors, crampons and ice axes, self-arrest skills, evening lecture about rope work and technical skills.
Ice climbing on grade II-IV route, discussing ice climbing techniques, organizing belying stances with winter anchors, placing and removing winter protection, abseiling off, evening lecture about planning a winter climbing.
Alpine winter climbing on complex terrain at grade III-IV route.
Hike down and return journey.
- This is suggested outlook for the winter climbing course program but we can adjust it to your needs and time. An extra day will cost €300.
- Please note that the program is subject to change due to weather conditions or other factors.
- If you think you are not ready for this type of intense winter climbing course check our winter mountaineering course!
Where: Tatra Mountains, Poland
The Tatra Mountains are the highest range in the Carpathian Mountains and Poland’s alpine-type mountains. They form a natural border between Poland and Slovakia. The highest summits are Gerlach (2655 m, Slovakia) and Rysy (2499 m, Poland). Thanks to the relatively small area of the Tatras compared to the Alps, there’s a cosy atmosphere, but you can also feel like you’re in really high mountains. The landscape of the High Tatras is very interesting and is dominated by alpine type ridges, towering walls and rocky peaks, which is a testament to the strong action of glaciers.
“The Tatra Mountains are quickly becoming a super popular destination for climbing and must-see places amongst all mountaineers!!! “
The “Morskie Oko” hut is our main base situated at Morskie Oko Lake, in the Rybi Potok Valley. It is located at an altitude of 1410 m above the sea level on the bank of glacial moraine. It was built in 1908 and has 78 beds mostly in bunk-style dormitories. It’s only 2 hours away on foot from the main car park and therefore, is a good and very popular place for trekkers as well as an excellent base to reach the best climbing routes in the Tatra Mountains.
- Mountain hut: I’m happy to assist you in booking a friendly mountain hut. I don’t collect monies upfront for the hut. You will pay directly for the hut after your stay. The average price is €12 for a night (bedding, towel and local green tax included). You can buy breakfast (€5), dinner (€8) and snacks at the hut. Since this is a bunk bed style hut, you will share the room with others.
- Flights and transport. You are responsible for booking your own flight to the place where we run our course. Flights to Poland are at the average price of €120 return (check budget airlines Wizzair and Ryanair). Please book your flight to Kraków airport. From Kraków central train/coach station, you can take a regular coach to Zakopane where we will meet you for the course. To maximize your time and have a stress-free journey I strongly recommend coming a day before the start of your course and fly back the day after the course (day 4). There is plenty of good hostels/hotels in Zakopane.
- Experience needed: This is a high-level winter climbing course. Winter mountaineering and summer mountain trad climbing experience are essential. A good fitness level is required.
- The course is run by a very experienced Polish Instructors of Alpinism so it means an excellent professional instruction from a local expert. Instructor to student ratio: 1:2 ( *if only one person booked the price will increase to €825).
- Required personal clothes for winter climbing course: mountaineering boots suitable for C2 (semi-automatic) crampons, gaiters, waterproof jacket and trousers, softshell trousers, insulated jacket, base layers, warm fleece, warm socks, warm external gloves, thin inner gloves, hat or balaclava, head torch, flask, good backpack. This is an absolute minimum.
Check out testimonials
See photos and reviews on our Facebook page
Have a question?
Ready to book? Click here!